1 tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and coriander
1/4 tsp each ground cloves, allspice and cardamom
1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate pieces
2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
Buns1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Add milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Beat in additional flour until a soft dough is formed.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
3. Place in a buttered bowl; turning dough to butter top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16 x 18 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup softened butter.
5. Combine 1/3 cup sugar and spices; sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle chocolate pieces over sugar.
6. Roll up tightly starting at the 16 inch side. Pinch end to seal. Cut into 8 slices. Use string to cut log. Knives give you crushed ends. Place in a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
7. Let rise until double, about 40 minutes. Bake in a 375˚ oven for 25 to 30 minutes. While warm, spoon over Vanilla Glaze.